Finding traditional style yarns to create Fair Isles, fine laceworks, Ganseys and other traditional garments can require some research. Schoolhouse Press is a resource for knitters with a good selection of those ‘hard-to-find’ yarns. The many yarns they carry include:
- “Jamieson Shetland Spindrift — Authentic 100% Shetland Wool from the Shetland Isles.
- Satakieli — Imported directly from Finland specifically for the magnificent mittens found in Lizbeth Upitis’ beautiful book, Latvian Mittens.
- Guernsey Wool — From the original Poppleton mill in the UK for authentic, traditional Gansey sweaters and socks.
- J & S Shetland Lace-Weight — For a Lace shawl slightly more delicate and dressy than Jumper-Weight Shetland. It has a wonderful drape and is a pleasure to knit with. Also good for very fine baby clothes.
- Un-Spun Icelandic — Extraordinary long-fibered fleece unique to Icelandic sheep produce the warmest wool we know of. In a single-strand, this wool is wonderful for lace.”